So, a self-interview… this is odd isn’t it?
Well, let’s start at the beginning. What’s your novel about?
A taxi driver in Beijing, who finds a letter from an anonymous sender in his cab, informing him that he’s had several past lives.
Past lives? Like, reincarnation?
Yes, the letter writer claims that the taxi driver, Wang Jun, has lived before as:
1. A eunuch during the Tang dynasty.
2. A slave during the invasion of Genghis Khan
3. A concubine of the Emperor Jiajing during the Ming dynasty
4. A fisherboy during the Opium War
5. A student during Mao Zedong’s Cultural Revolution
The letter writer then sends the taxi driver more letters – stories about these turbulent past lives.